D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Another week in Almeria

First of all, I am happy to say that we are still doing well here in Almeria, and that our difficulties don't last forever. This week has been interesting. We went on splits this week with Elder R and G (from Guatemala) and that went well. G and I went on a tour through los Almendros, a really sketchy gypsy development that is stereotyped as being full of cocaine and marijuana. I don't know how true that is though, I have only seen the marijuana!  Haha, there is more of that stuff there than I could ever believe. 

We only had one investigator come to church this week, which was a disappointment. We were hoping that 8 would come, but most of them slept in, and the one that didn't sleep in was in the hospital because he got jumped IN the Great Church of Apostasy on saturday. He was going to send his daughter off to a program almost identical to Playground Pals, or summer rec, through the local G.W.of all the E. And while he was finalizing the paperwork, he saw the Moniters, the people that were going to be the leaders, loading 2 dollies stacked with assorted alchoholic drinks. He asked them what that was for, and they said that it was for Sunday, because it was their day off and they could do whatever they wanted. 

He politely asked for his money back, which they gave him as he de-registered his daughter, and they was asked, 'why are you taking her out?' to which he replied, 'because you are all a bunch of ------ drunkards. After that, a few of the kids there, between 17 and 20 years old pinned him down and began to inflict upon him grievous wounds... Okay, not that grievous or scriptural, but today he is in the forensics lab and the Police are having a crackdown on that area.

Good excuse not to come to church?

I highly doubt that Elder S and I will stay together one more transfer. In this mission there are very few companionships that have had more that 2 transfers together, or individuals with more that 4 transfers in one area. 

I am so glad that you guys are having such a great time in Washington! I get homesick for the trees and green and rain when I hear all the things that you are doing there. I can't wait to get a chance to travel back up to Washington some day. Who knows? Maybe I'll end up working there some day!

We continue teaching large groups of Gypsies in the middle of the streets of Los Almendros, and we have found a solid crop of new investigators that I feel will be able to progress towards entering into the covenant of Baptism.  
Anyways, I love you all so much, and I hope that you have a safe journey and have lots of fun in whichever part of the world you are!


¡Os quiero mucho!
Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment