D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Music and the Holy Ghost

So, I tried to upload a bunch of photos, but today my camera doesn't work in the locutorio, nor in the chapel, so I will need to do the whole long process of transferring them in the little DVD player in the apartment to my flash drive, and then hopefully next week, I will be able to send you some pictures!

So, a lack of photos necessitates lots of description, so I will try my best.

So, where we live is on the norther edge of Almería. A 30 minute walk from any of the other missionaries or shopping centers. That is a serious bummer, however, we live 2 minute away from the chapel, so that is really nice. And, our apartment isn't bad. I still haven't organized my things from my suitcases, but I am making progress, slowly but surely. There are a few really nice things about our piso, 1 wooden floors. It is a really nice change from the constant tile. tile on the floors, walls, and sometimes, ceiling. 2 I FOUND A VACUUM CLEANER!! That made my day today. I found it, and thought that it was broken, but it turns out that it works really well, and now our piso is completely dust free! 3 Electric heating. Now we don't have to worry about running out butane on Sunday morning... That was one of the worst things in Algeciras. We buy butane on Monday, enjoy hot showers all week, until sunday morning, when it runs out, and we can't go buy another one until Monday afternoon. So yeah, I like this piso a lot!

We have a few investigators, and we are working well with a kid named O. He is the oldest kid in the family of Gypsies that got baptized a few weeks ago. Just in the last 2 weeks we have seen a huge difference in his openness to the gospel. This last Sunday he came to church. In a red t-shirt and gym sweats, but he still came! Luckily, Elder Eagle Scout Oliver brought an extra necktie, and let him borrow that for the meetings. I have to say, he looked a bit odd wearing that tie, but he wore it, and that was good.

Today we played paddle. It is the Spanish form of tennis, so in other words, it is lazy tennis. The ball is allowed to touch the walls behind and on the side of the court, so you don't have to worry too much about hitting the ball the first time it passes you. The 8 missionaries here went to the paddle court in the apartment complex of our ward mission leader. He is a great leader, and does everything and more that what a good ward mission leader should do.

We work in a couple of pueblos out here, and it is rather difficult to get to know the names and patterns of 4-5 different cities. Luckily, in Alhama, there are a couple of members that make really good food, so I won't complain too much. And about food, I haven't put on any more weight in the last 8 weeks, which is good. Because 8 weeks ago I peaked. That is the heaviest I have ever been, however, I don't understand where I got fatter. I don't see much of a difference anywhere on my body. In fact, my calves have gotten smaller, so that should account for a few kilos, haha.

Towards more spiritual stuff, just about everybody knows that I am a musician. I love music, and without it, I would not be who I am today. In fact, by teaching a little bit of piano to O, he has opened up towards the gospel way faster than expected.  I think that is one of my greatest tools out here in the mission field. I have the ability to share my more tender and sensitive side. Music opens my heart, and other people can feel it.
Another thing many of you now know about. I have a growing fascination with language. I speak English and Spanish, and am in the process of learning the basics of a few other languages. I feel like this scripture fits the purpose of language 

''For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.''
         2 Nephi 31:3

   If we, as servants of God, want to join in his work, we need to speak unto the understanding of men. If we have faith, work hard, and are worthy, the Lord will help us. And, in some cases completely fill us with the gift of tongues, as seen in Acts 2:1-12

 1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire,and it sat upon each of them.

 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together,and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another,Behold, are not all these which speak Galilæans?

 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judæa, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

 12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

The Holy Ghost communicates to us the things of God, and for him, there are no language barriers. For me, I communicate my passion and testimony through music, and music has no language barriers. So if A=B and B=C, then A=C, which means that there is a lot in common between music and the Holy Ghost.  1 Not partial to any language 2 Cuts to the heart 3 Helps you remember things that you knew before.



So, I think my love of music and obsession with language will help me to bring the Spirit into the lives of those I meet, and that they may feel the love and power of God.

So, that is my week.
Jag älskar er! (Os quiero!)


Elder Oliver 

No comments:

Post a Comment