D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

May 5 Email

Who knows? I suppose that I will be leaving this next week. As in a week, I very well could be packed up and on my way to the next city that needs to hear the Gospel from my mouth. That has caused me some serious reflection, as well as this last week of consecration. I have mentally gone over everything that I have done in my 4 months here in A. Why? Because we didn't baptize anybody here. As missionaries, baptisms are a fairly obvious indicator of success. Did that mean that we didn't have any success? Nope.

As I went through all of our experiences, I realized how much we really have done.  We have done a lot work with the members, and helped them feel the spirit of the Lord, and helped them understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Part of the effectiveness of the atonement comes through your own ability to forgive.

We have seen a lot of people swallow their pride, and try to forgive and forget the things that they held against other members.

This branch has had a few new families move in, and take leadership positions, which really helps structure the work here, and give us all a little more direction.

We have found a nice little handful of new investigators. That is definitely going to help out whoever comes here next. We cleaned out our area book. Updated everything. Hunted down every name that was in that thing. Called every number. Talked to a lot of people.

One of the most important things however, was that our Branch mission leader, has deepened his understanding of the gospel to a degree that I can't even describe. He serves everybody. There is not a person in this branch that is not grateful for something that he has done in the past 3 weeks.

I have also learned a lot. And I mean a LOT. Now, we're talking about 2 cargo ships full of knowledge! Maybe even 3! Testimony, language, gospel, social skills, humility (still have a long way to go with that, though), cooking, sewing, plumbling, being travel agent, peace making, fasting...   But not writing long enough emails (according to my mom).

So, I finished going through everything we did, and I realized, that I am not quite as much of a failure as I sometimes think. The Lord has blessed me with more than I could ever give thanks. I try, every night. But, if I were to give thanks for every single thing that I am grateful for, I would be praying for a very long time. So, after a good solid couple of minutes, I just say, 'and thanks for everything else, too!'  I'm sure He understands, right?

And in doing that, in consciously trying to express my thanks for everything, I realize, that I really do have a good life. I am so happy all the time. I know that our Father in Heaven has a plan for us, and that we have the priveledge of living with our families forever! Even after death. And that makes me so happy, because my family is the best thing I have in this entire world!

Along those lines, this week, I have the opportunity to Skype with them, because it is Mother's Day in the States. I am so grateful for my mom. She is the bomb-diggidy. ¡Una máquina! 

I just want everybody to know that my Mom is the best. She is, and always been there for me, my dad, and my brothers. She does so much to help us become the people that God knows we can become. I join my voice with those of Helaman's stripling warriors (in the book of Mormon) that 'We do not doubt our mothers knew it'.

May everybody have a fantastic day, and learn something new!!

Os quiero mucho!
Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment