D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Feb 9 email



Wow. I don't even know where to start... Again.

This week has been full of finding, teaching, and feeling the spirit.
This week we didn't have to go to district meeting, because it was Zone Conference week!

We got to travel to Cartegena this week to go help out other sister missionaries. It was just a ward activity, so the 3 companionships of missionaries that work in the Cartegena 2 ward (us included) got together for a little cosecha (harvest), where we went and contacted a bunch. For the first 2 hours, Elder Q and I didn't do very well. Not a single person stopped to listen to us, and we were feeling rather defeated. Then, it was about 1 o'clock in the afternoon, when the streets normally empty out, and we decided to stop and pray. We asked forgiveness for thinking so highly of ourselves, and we asked for help. Do you want to know what happened? We found tons of people in the next 45 minutes. Sometimes, we just need to humble ourselves, and then the Lord will be willing work with us.

Zone conference on Friday was great and we learned a better way to plan for our day. We began to put into practice from that night on, and we learned that it really is a lot more effective that the older way that we planned. We are working really hard to be more obedient and focused on helping people progress towards a better life. Speaking of that...

This Saturday was an unforgettable day. We were teaching Mission Prep and we had invited one of our friends who is recently getting to know the church, C. We had a 'practice' where D and I taught C. We were talking about how he felt about the things that he has learned and felt recently. He paused, and we asked him, 'how do you feel when you pray?' 

His response surprised me. He said, 'I feel good, ya' know? In these last two weeks since you guys found me on that bench that Saturday evening, I have felt so much different. Every time we talk, meet here in the chapel, or when I pray, I get such a strong feeling of peace in my heart. All my outside problems and worries are postponed, and I feel like God really does love me, even though I have done some pretty un-Christlike things in my life. These are feelings that I have never felt before in my life.'

My jaw probably dropped out of surprise and an overwhelmingly peaceful feeling overcame me. I know that what he said is exactly the fulfillment of the promise that God has made us.

It was an amazing morning. Then, that evening, another one of our investigators told us almost exactly the same thing. We are changing lives here, and I have the privilege of being the tool that the Lord is using to work in the lives of these men.

I love you all,
¡Os quiero mucho! 
Elder Oliver


(ps. My fingers are freezing cold in this locutorio. Next week I am going to bring gloves or a heater or something.)

No comments:

Post a Comment