D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Proselyting in Gibraltar?

Well this week has been rough on the investigator front. But, there have been several good things happen here in this little branch of the Lord's church. 

First, we contacted a lot of people. We spent hours in the Area book, calling people from years of missionary service, and we have already seen the fruits of other people's labor. We were able to get 4 strong future investigators, and have already set up appointments with them. And they are families too! That is the most exciting part. It has been a while since we have taught a family, and we are hoping that these people just read the Book of Mormon, pray, learn that it is true, and then get so excited that they want to get baptized!!

That would seriously make my life.

With our dear friend M, we have been struggling. He is more slippery than a fish, and it is nearly impossible to find him at his house, which is a shame, because he already has a testimony of obedience to many of the commandments of the Lord. He has seen the blessings that come from living closer to how the Savior lived. But as I have already said in weeks past, he can't read. So, Elder Bird and I have downloaded the Book of Mormon as an MP3 for him to listen to each day, so that he can do his scripture study while we are away.

With E, she still wants to get baptized. However, I believe that once she decided to get baptized, she figured that our work is done, and doesn't really want to meet with us anymore. She probably thinks that is our job. To get people to get baptized. In reality, that is only a step. We are here to help her come closer to Christ, and faith, repentance, and baptism are only the first steps towards centering your life on Christ.

Speaking of Christ, I have started studying the 5 Gospels with intensity (the 4 Gospels of the New Testament, and the ''American'' Gospel, the book of 3rd Nephi, in the Book of Mormon). I have a strong desire to learn ever more deeply about our Savior. My knowledge of his dealings among men is already full of details, but I am determined to learn more of the reasons he had for many of the things he taught, things he did. It is more of a question of 'Why', than 'What', or 'how'.

My testimony of Prayer is just as strong as ever. Every time I feel down, I get down on my knees and pray my heart out. I always feel stronger after letting the Savior share some of my load of stress and anxiety.  As I have turned to the Savior to let him help me, I have found that miracles really can happen.

For example, this Sunday was the best Sunday I have ever had here in Algeciras. We had 6 members in the meeting that hadn't been to Church in a very long time, and for some reason the branch really was just emanating kindness and love from almost everybody. It was the first time that I really felt comfortable in this branch. Not only that, but our ward mission leader is an absolute machine. He is doing so much work to help us have more success, and the Branch President seems like he is on our team now.

You guys have no idea how nice of a change it was. 

This week we are going to proselyte in Gibraltar for a day to see how things are over there. Aside from P-days, missionaries haven't proselyted there for a very long time. We have a list of members and past investigators that will help us have a good start. And then I will be able to say that I proselyted in 2 different nations on my mission. That is pretty cool. Not a lot of missionaries get to say that. The problem is, choosing which language to speak. Everybody there is bilingual, and so should I speak the language that I have complete control over, or the language that I have developed to preach the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ? That will be hard.

Anyways, I look forward every week to your emails, and to hear how life is going.

Os quiero muchisimo!
Love,
Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment