D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, February 24, 2014

If you feel broken, pray.

A good week in Algeciras! Elder Bird is exactly what this area needs. He's big. He's full of energy. He's got a crazy strong testimony, and speaks Spanish fairly well. I have been feeling a little bit down lately, and I have been doing more praying than I probably ever have before. This area... Yeah, I won't ever forget this area.

There are lots of good things happening here. Each day we have gotten more future investigators. However, with the investigators that we do have, we aren't going anywhere. They didn't come to church this Sunday, so that means that we have to postpone their baptismal dates. That is a real disappointment.

My comp is from Utah (big surprise!) he Graduated in 2012, and went to go play basketball at Snow College. Then he got his mission call and we went to the MTC together. He is like a big teddy bear. Big, kind of intimidating, but soft, and he absolutely loves the people here. The branch is still small. Still suffering from the same problems as a few months ago (mainly gossip) but we have already seen some progress with the new Branch leadership. There should be a lot more to come from that. 

Every day we wake up, run, eat, do some personal, then comp study, and then language study. Then we go and try to find people to teach. At 2pm we go back to the piso and have our mediodía break. We eat, and then we take naps. Then, at 4, we leave again, and go try to find people, or go and visit members. It is hard to fill up the schedule when you only have 2 people that you actually are teaching. 

We haven't had a lot of lessons lately, but we have had a lot of time to reflect on how to become better people, and better missionaries this week. I have noted a few things that I need to change now, and a few more things that I need to begin working on. The Lord has helped me in my life. I am trying to share that with everybody in Algeciras. 

If you feel broken, pray. If you feel alone, pray. If you feel guilty, pray. The Savior has promised us that if we come unto him in humility, and with a broken heart, in other words, a desire to change and overcome our weaknesses, he will support us, and give us strength. I personally testify of the reality of that promise.

“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28–30).

There are no scriptures more beautifully written than this. No other arrangement of words in the English language that soften hardened and broken hearts more than this sweet promise. I know it is true.

I love you guys. I hope you have the best week ever.

Os quiero mucho!
Elder Oliver

1 comment: