D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, April 14, 2014

The Holy Week in Spain

First off, do you guys remember our investigator from Ghana, that I talked about last week? That golden guy who only wants to be with his family and talk about God? Well, we just learned a LOT about him. He is a very important man. He could be filthy stinking rich, and rightfully should be, and really famous.  

Instead of explaining his whole story, I will just include a link. 


There are many Africans here in Europe, all running towards lives with better opportunities. And there are far better lives available here that in many places in Africa. John was one of the first Africans to come to Europe by foot. His journey took him five years and a lot of hard labor. Once he arrived in Europe, he dedicated his life to helping people understand the situation down there. He was interviewed by many people, and has helped thousands of Africans find better lives. 

His journey was recorded by some guy-- he didn't tell me his name, but it wouldn't be too hard to find out-- and published as Der Traum vom Leben-- Eine Afrikanische Oddysse. Which won several international literary awards. 

All this media attention, and chances of becoming famous, and this guy has chosen to live a quiet life here. In very humble conditions. This man has one of the purest testimonies of Jesus Christ I have ever heard. Simple, and powerful. I just have to say, I have learned a lot from that man.

Anyway, we had been progressing with one of our investigators, E, for the past couple of weeks. She was doing really well, reading the Book of Mormon every day, praying, going to Church and even General Conference, and progressing towards her goal of baptism by the 19th. However, that will have to come a little later now, because she didn't come to church for some reason yesterday, and we haven't been able to find her.

We spent the day today in Gibraltar again, but instead of taking the tour up to the mountain, we hiked! It was my first legit hike in quite some time.

The hike took us a few hours, and I got really trunky for a few moments (Trunky, in missionary language means thinking of home), which I have managed to avoid pretty well. It was just so green, and reminded me a lot of going on awesome hikes with friends, family, and church both in Washington and Arizona. That is one thing that I will be doing a lot of... Exploring!

Today, I realized that I really have a love of language. I really love understanding people, and understanding how people understand. That is something that has helped me a lot out here, both in a Gospel and a language context. If I can quickly pinpoint how an individual organizes the world, how they understand, then I can quickly adjust to their needs, and help overcome communication barriers that block so many people. 

Elder P and I were talking today, but every time he wanted to talk with D, the member we went hiking with, I translated for him. It was kind of silly to me to think that D didn't understand a single word that Elder P said. And they were all fairly simple sentences too. Darn language barriers!

There are many other things happening here this week in Algeciras. As most of you know, this week is the Holy Week. Semana Santa. 

Nope! That isn't the KKK, that is a procession of the Semana Santa. Every day this week from about 8pm to midnight, there is a procession, and there are thousands of people dressed up in their Penitence Suits. It dates back to the Medieval Times, but don't ask me where or how they came up with it. Anyway, it is a cool-- and kind of unnerving-- tradition, so I will send you some pictures of this next Monday!

As Mormons, we don't celebrate the Holy Week in such an extravagant manner, but we do realize its importance. Many of the most important events in Christian history, and in the history of the world happened in this week, nearly 2000 years ago. Christ atoned for the sins and pains of the world, he was crucified and laid in the sepulchre for three days. Most importantly, is that through Christ, the bands of death were broken in his resurrection from the dead, and that every man, woman and child that has ever lived and ever will live will be able to accept the same as a gift. Free of charge.

May we remember why Christ did for us what he did.


Anyway, I hope that all of you have a great week, 
Os quiero mucho!
Elder Oliver








No comments:

Post a Comment