D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, November 11, 2013

The Most Profound Sorrow and Heartache

Seriously, it was the best birthday I have ever had, filled with more joy than I can express. And this week I have felt the most profound sorrow and heartache that I have ever felt.

So, first- Birthday.
  The Lord shows us little acts of kindness --tender mercies--in our lives, to help us know that he remembers us, that he loves us.
  There were a few on my birthday.
First, many of you know that Helaman 5:12 is my favorite scripture. If you haven't read it, read it, it is awesome, even if you aren't Mormon. Elder Rodríguez didn't know that it was my favorite, but that is the verse he decided to share at our lunch appointment. It was awesome!
Second, I got a birthday present! The Spanish book that I was hoping to get arrived in the mail, and given the lazy mail system here, it made me pretty happy.
Third, and most importantly.
My family knows that I love Cowboy delight. It is my favorite meal, and I ask for it every year on my birthday. In fact, they were going to eat it in remembrance of me, but they didn't have the ingredients.
Anyways, enough background. Our investigator L, and her boyfriend, (two of my favorite people in the world) had us over for a dinner appointment. They didn't even know that it was my birthday, because I wasn't very vocal about it, let alone what my favorite meal is. But, they happened to fix me the Colombian equivalent of Cowboy Delight. And holy cow, that made my day.  :D

Hayden's birthday "cake"
Now to the heartbreak.

Remember C? The Bulgarian guy. Well, he found out that his brother just committed suicide this week. He was his only family left, because his mom died when they were kids, and their dad left them. His wife's parents in Bulgaria don't like him, and don't want him to have married their daughter.

He came to Spain to find work to raise his 7 month old daughter in a better life than he had been given.

We were in a lesson at the chapel on Wednesday, and when we were leaving, we found him outside the door, looking really depressed. He told us all the things that had happened (because his Spanish has gotten much better) and also told us that he lost his job. He broke down and started crying and told us that he had made a total of 30€ in two months.  TWO MONTHS. I'm glad he lost that job, because that employer is a real d---weed. But, to make matters worse, he got kicked out of the room he was renting, and had 2 grocery bags full of all his belongings with him. We called the bishop and he came to help out. As of yesterday the situation has stabilized a bit. It is amazing to see how the members of a ward can take somebody in, and help them out in little ways. Those little ways help out a lot. 

I cried multiple times this week, just thinking about the pain he was feeling, the utter abandonment, loneliness. Please keep him in your prayers. He needs them.

Elder Rodríguez continues to be a great example to me. He doesn't talk all that much outside of what is necessary, but we have good conversations when I can figure out the words in Spanish. I learn so much from his view of the missionary work. He places it at the top of his priorities, which is where it should be, and is able to be close to the spirit and teach with authority just about all the time. He continues to push me to work harder, to be better, to learn more, to speak fluently and powerfully, and to be more observant of the world around me. I truly love this guy, and I know that because of the work he has done in the past 3 months has greatly influenced the eternal salvation of many people.

Our investigators are progressing along well. L and F are seeking diligently to find the fastest way to get married, so that she can be baptized and they can become an eternal family. We found another family this week, and they came to church this week! Speaking of church attendance, we have begun implementing what President Deere taught the zone leaders about planning, and to boost our moral, the Lord brought 7 of our investigators to sacrament meeting yesterday. What a miracle! Over 10% of the attendance was our investigators and people that hadn't attended church in 10+ years.

I am loving every minute of this. I love serving the people of Torrevieja. I love seeing the blessings that people receive as they follow the commandments of the Lord.

I love you all! Keep working hard!

Os quiero mucho,
Elder Oliver



No comments:

Post a Comment