D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Happy Birthday Hayden!

This week's entry will be shorter than usual, because I am sending emails to all those that wished me a happy birthday (to my email).

It feels weird to be 3.25 months into my mission as I turn 19. A year and a half ago I wouldn't have imagined that I would be in Spain. Bringing the gospel to those that are ready, and having the doors slammed on us by those who aren't. Truly, this will be the best birthday ever. I am spending the whole day in the service of the Lord, because I will be serving his children. I have found such joy in bringing the Gospel to tired souls, tried and tested people who feel their faith waning. 

Things here in Torrevieja are going great. Elder Rodríguez and I had the most lessons this week than in any other previous week. However, many of the lessons were not with our investigators. This was the first week in which we didn't find any new investigators. We are rather dissapointed in that fact, and so we have new plans to find people this week, new methods to track down those children of God who are prepared to remember the Gospel. We had a great week with strengthening members of the ward, whether it be new converts, less-actives, or part-member families.

This week we have been focusing on the power of prayer and scripture study with all those that we teach, and in our own personal study. Because of that focus, we have been able to see the difference more clearly. The contrast is striking, between those that have been praying, reading, and studying diligently. We can actually see the light of Christ shining more brilliantly in the countenances of those that are closer to the spirit, as a result of striving to live in accordance with the laws of God.

Personally, I have realized more the necessity of studying the scriptures. During my reading of the Book of Mormon, I find new things every day that help me understand the loving nature of our Father in Heaven. He gave us the scriptures, not to condemn our imperfections, but to support us and help us climb closer to him. They truly are his road map. Stoplights, short-cuts, overpasses, highways, and traffic warnings. We really need to help our investigators understand this more deeply, because--as Christ told the Nephites--study the scriptures, because they are pretty rad. (That isn't a direct quotation, haha)

Our golden investigator-- L-- is stronger than ever. She is always asking questions, and she is finding her answers through prayer and careful study of the Book of Mormon. Her testimony is where it should be, if she were to be baptized this week. Which, might just happen. She and F have been searching for all sorts of different paths to get married as quickly as possible, because she really, really wants to be baptized.

Our other investigators are doing well too, but most of them are strugging to keep the simple commitments, so there is no way we are going to invite them to take on the covenant of baptism quite yet. Hopefully we will be able to help them realize the importance of praying and reading the scriptures, and help them find the answers they didn't know they were searching for.

This week I started the Book of Alma. I have my work cut out for me if I want to finish by mid-December. 

I got homesick on Friday and Saturday. The 2nd time that has happened since I left. Do you know why? I looked at my watch, "Friday, Nov. 1, 9:00pm." And I realized that that State Championships for swimming had begun, and my friends were swimming without me. I was cheering them on though, 5500 miles away.

I love the pictures and videos you sent me! I love you all so much, and I am so proud of everything that you are doing. I truly have the best family in the world.

¡¡Os quiero muchisimo!!

Elder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment