D&C 20:10-12

10 And thy brother Oliver shall continue in bearing my name before the world, and also to the church. And he shall not suppose that he can say enough in my cause; and lo, I am with him to the end.

11 In me he shall have glory, and not of himself, whether in weakness or in strength, whether in bonds or free;

12 And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Changing the Course of my Mission for the Better

Any color you want, as long as it's white!

I thought I had told you about our investigator, the Supermodel. We have been teaching her since my first week here in Torrevieja, and she has more faith than I have seen in just about anybody else. She has a baptismal date set for the 26th of October.
She reads in her Book of Mormon EVERY day, and always has great questions, and we have had some great discussions about all sorts of things.
This week we taught her the law of chastity. She kicked her boyfriend out of the bedroom, and he sleeps downstairs on the sofa.

We taught her the Word of Wisdom. She gave us a bag with all her cigarettes and coffee so that we could throw it away for her. (I'll send the pick tomorrow, Elder R forgot his camera today)

She and her boyfriend are trying to figure out a way to live separately right now, so that she can be baptized this Saturday.

And he (the boyfriend) is progressing as well. He has been talking to the Bishop, and they're going to start working together to clean him up. He is an awesome guy.

It has been difficult getting along with Elder R this week. There were little things I was doing and little things he was doing that drove each other crazy. But, after a rather painful discussion in a dark alley Saturday night, we both ended up crying, man-hugging it out, and going on to teach together that night better that we have ever taught. I think that talk may have changed the course of my mission for the better.

However, despite difficulties getting along with him, I had never stopped admiring how well he could teach people, and what a great example he is to me. I love him like a brother.

Last week, Elder Read, Elder Avilés and Hermana Lovell were transferred out of our zone. It was hard for them to go, because they had all been in Cartegena for about 6 months, but they are replaced with some new missionaries from all over the world. Utah, France, and Some country in Africa. It's exciting to see how the dynamics of the zone will change.

 
 
 

There are all sorts of wonderful things happening with the work here in Spain. We are finding more new investigators every week that we ever have. We are baptizing more sons and daughters of God than ever before. We are bringing those lost sheep back to the fold, and watching as people accept the atonement of Jesus Christ, and change their lives for the better. The kingdom of God on Earth is strong in Spain. Next year, we're going to work even harder. 

This week has been crazy. We have had a full schedule, every day of the week, every evening. We have been teaching families. We have a few individual investigators, but we like to try and teach the entire family if possible.

I found a violin! There is a shop that has a violin for 120€, which is totally worth it, in my opinion. Next week, I may send you a video of me and Elder R jamming out to some hymn. We'll have to figure out a musical arrangement for Sacrament Meeting.

It feels weird that I only have 2 weeks left of being 18. Holy moly, I'm getting old.

For my birthday, I would like all our investigators to get baptized.
Now for things that I can actually get for my birthday.
   Um, have Porter and Brodie go to Goodwill and buy the sweetest ties that they can find. I would like a few more skinny ties. I trust Porter's judgment. Letters, pictures, videos of everybody telling me how they are, what is going on in their life (under 3 minutes each though) and that doesn't have to be just family. If you want to send me a quick update on how your life is, send it to my Mom! I would love to hear from you.
  Also, sheet music. Make copies, and send it to me, of all sorts of different things. Or scan it and dropbox it to me.
  Anything else, just use your discretion... If they happen to sell peanut butter for really cheap on Amazon, remember me. They don't sell peanut butter here... And I used to live off of that stuff.

Other that that, I don't thing much else has happened. Or I have forgotten it. 

If I remember, I will tell you next week.

Anyways, I love you all, keep up the great work, and do all you can to become the very best you can be!

¡Os quiero mucho!
Élder Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment